Details of all OTHR rolling stock, whether owned, leased or on loan, are recorded in R-013 Rolling Stock Register.
Note that OTHR currently does not hold accreditation for the running or maintenance of core rolling stock, and so the engineering standards below refer predominantly to the maintenance of TMVs.
Design and Development:
Because of the heritage nature of its operations OTHR does not design and develop new equipment. However, repair and maintenance of OTHR rolling stock and equipment does often require the replacement of older materials and components and equipment with like materials. When this is required, a risk assessment is carried out on the planned modification to identify safety implications. Any available manufacturer’s manuals or directions either in their original form or as facsimiles, where relevant to the materials and equipment, are considered as part of these risk assessments
Rolling stock shall meet functional specifications of being fit for purpose – i.e. the TMVs will stay on the rails, keep passengers inside, not part couplings and brakes are working. OTHR maintenance personnel with the appropriate trade qualifications (see Competency) are authorised to perform inspections and make ‘fit for purpose’ determinations.
For the low speed, low distance & low risk environment at OTHR additional controls are not required.
- Tread will be free from flat spots
- No visible sign of cracking
- Flanges will have even & rounded radii i.e. not sharp.
- No evidence of movement in relation to axle
- Will be straight and free from visible defect
- Operate freely & maintain correct position on axle
- Operates freely allowing full travel
- All springs are sound free from any cracking or defect
- All wheels loaded correctly (locomotive)
e) Bogey components
- All components in correct position
- All nuts & bolts tight with no indication of movement
- Brake blocks shall have a minimum thickness of ?? mm
- Brake piston travel shall be no greater than ?? mm
- Brake blocks correctly position onto wheels when applied
- All brake rigging, pins & cotters in place and not excessively worn.
- Locomotive air compressor operates correctly.
- Air brake lines (including coupling hoses and fittings) will be free from leaks
- Brake coupling hoses sill be in good condition (no perished, kinked, collapsed etc)
- Free from visible defect, and are not excessively worn.
- Soundly secured to vehicle chassis.
- Free from visible crack or defect
- All bolts, nuts, rivets and/or welds are in place and not cracked, broken worn or corroded.
i) Doors & Windows
- No broken glass or other sharp edge
- Open and close freely and latches which to secure them in position
- Sound, free from rust & rot
OTHR Associated Documents: