This historic three-wheeled “trike” was restored by James Morrison of Thornleigh and donated to the Oberon Tarana Heritage Railway in April, 2010. Known as a Sheffield Hand Car or Velocipede, this hand powered vehicle has been adapted to the NSW standard gauge. This trike was built in about 1910 for the South Australian Railways, based on an 1882 design by George Sheffield of Michigan, USA. The original design was taken up by many railway systems around the world and over 4000 of these vehicles were built. They were in constant use by railway workers for track inspections and other fettler’s tasks. Surprising as it may seem, the vehicle can attain 20km/hr on flat terrain, making track inspections relatively quick and efficient. From about 1905 onward these machines increasingly became motorised – using small two-stroke engines.
1955 Wickham Section Car
Section cars were used to convey permanent way employees and tools when working on track maintenance and inspection. This section car was typical of those used in NSW prior to 1980.
Wickham Type No. 4 Car No. 7199
Imported for the NSWGR from U.K. in 1955.
Originally fitted with a J.A.P. 600cc (UCZ.R) engine but probably one of the batch refitted with the current Wisconsin engine in, or after 1977.
Wisconsin engine – model S12D2, serial no. 146678. Spec. No. X964 (12.5 HP)
Recently acquired on long-term loan from the Rail Transport Museum, Thirlmere.
Vintage 1957 – a Standard Villiers Mark 8E Quadricycle.
Used by railway fettlers to transport men and tools for routine track inspections and repair work on the permanent way.
Emergency Response Vehicle
This battery powered emergency response vehicle (ERV) was donated to OTHR by Railcorp through the efforts of OTHR member Layne Hardie.
It may be used as a track inspection vehicle and general people mover during trackwork down the line.
For emergency situations it is equipped to carry stretchers.